No Firefox in VNC (or anything for that matter)

Hi guys,

I am trying to go through the Linux Essentials course and I am following the video. It says to run firefox from applications, but I don't have that in my applications list. There is only Settings and Terminal listed. I tried it with Centos and with Red Hat as well. Both of them do NOT have firefox. Shouldn't the lab systems that we use already have it installed? If not, then how do I follow along? Is there supposed to be a script to run? If so, then maybe the video skipped that part?

Thanks in advance!

• post-author-pic
    John M
    01-10-2019

I am not the author of that course, and I have not viewed that video, but does it mean run Firefox Web Browser on the Linux Virtual Machine, or from your client computer (ie. Windows or Mac, Linux). If it is giving you a way to run a client and connect to the lab server or playground server than Chrome or Internet Explorer or Safari will work as well. Sorry I can not get specific, but I would ike to help. If you want to e-mail me at john.marx@linuxacademy.com I can start a conversation and invest more time. Also, the course author may follow up with something here as well. Thanks - John

• post-author-pic
    acchitty
    01-10-2019

Hi and I appreciate you replying, John.
    Maybe I was not as clear, so let me try to describe it a little better.  The issue that I possibly see is not with the course.  The issue that I am seeing is the fact that when you launch any of the cloud servers that we use to practice on, it looks as if it was the bare minimum.  It had settings, office, and a terminal.  In the video, there were many more options listed when you click applications.  This included Firefox, Application Installer, Help or any other web browsing applications. 
    The video was discussing the desktop applications that would be used, but I was not able to see much of anything.  I have a screenshot of what I see when I log into the Centos lab server attached (hopefully that will help).  I tried this with the Centos7 and with Red Hat as well (because that was the OS that the instructor was using). 
    If this makes sense then great, if not then I will try to explain in more detail.  I hope that I am just overlooking something!  I will email this message to you as well as the screenshots so that you can get a view of what I am seeing.

Thanks in advance

• post-author-pic
    Ermin K
    01-10-2019

I am not the author of the course but you should be able to install firefox on Red Hat and Centos7 with "yum install firefox" and then you can run it by typing in the the terminal as a non root user "firefox"

• post-author-pic
    acchitty
    01-10-2019

Ermin, I was able to install using the Yum command.  I appreciate it.  The videos made it seem like it would be there by default, that is why I assumed that it would not need to be installed (especially when the lesson of Yum was not for another 3 or 4 more videos in the class).  Again, thank you much.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More