Google Cloud Platform Compute engine.

Hi.

I have a question regarding VM instance in GCP compute engine.

When I create VM and use boot disk RedHat Enterprise, it includes

also help of RedHat technician team in case any problems?

• post-author-pic
    Ell M
    01-04-2019

Hi Jacek, May I ask if you have to use Redhat Enterprise? The big sell behind Redhat Enterprise is the technical support that they offer for their Enterprise clients. If you are not in need of Technical support I would recommend using CentOS. It is more or less Redhat without the Technical support .

• post-author-pic
    Ell M
    01-04-2019

Hi again, Sorry I fat fingered the enter button above. As I was saying Centos is more or less Redhat without the technical support. By that, I mean that it has the same library and binary versions.I

• post-author-pic
    Matthew U
    01-04-2019

To piggy back off of Ell's reply. Using the RedHat image does not include support from Red Hat technicians, you would need to sign up for a support plan through them separately. The costs of the red hat premium image is roughly the same as the standalone 'self support' option here: https://www.redhat.com/en/store/red-hat-enterprise-linux-server#?sku=RH00005

A support package would have to be arranged through Red Hat separately.

• post-author-pic
    Jacek Z
    01-05-2019

@ellmarquez  @MatthewUlasien thanks for the information.

One more question.

Nice, I understand that is not a free Linux distro. I was thinking if it is on os list it also includes support from Redhat technicians. A better way is to buy distro from RedHat with technicians support and injected it to GCP. When I buy outside os it is possible to use it in GCP?

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More