apt install vs apt-get install

What's the difference between apt install and apt-get install?
  • post-author-pic
    James L
    12-20-2018

Hi Danon,

I'm going to answer your question by answering a slightly different question first: "what's the difference between apt and apt-get".

The short answer is that apt is intended to be a simplified and more user-friendly alternative to apt-get and apt-cache. The apt command includes most of the commonly used commands/options from apt-get and apt-cache, plus some improvements like a progress bar.

As for your direct question: "what's the difference between apt install and apt-get install" - these two commands should be largely the same.

It's worth noting that apt-get doesn't always directly map to apt. Though a lot of the common options will (e.g. install, remove, update, upgrade).

• post-author-pic
    Ermin K
    12-20-2018

In short there are some differences that you might notice over time but they are similar and the differences for the end user are more or less trivial.  At least from my perspective.

• post-author-pic
    Ell M
    12-21-2018

I will note for Linux Mint users that the apt mentioned here is not the same as the python wrapper that was implemented a few years ago in the Linux Mint distro. 

The apt command was introduced to solve the problem of unifying the apt-get and apt-cache command. Apt is structured to provide you the necessary options needed in order to be able to manage packages in a user-friendly way for Debian users. As stated in the man pages: It is
    intended as an end user interface and enables some options better suited for interactive
    usage by default compared to more specialized APT tools like apt-get(8) and apt-cache(8).

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More