LA needs Shorter Hyperlinks for External Profile Pages

I'd like to be able to drop all my certifications on a sigle link in my resumes, highlighting the information instead of leaving it up to recruiters/reviewers to find it through my LinkedIn. Would it be possbile to shorten the external profle link so it's more presentable? In the meanwhile, I can create my own redirect, but I wouldn't mind using the LA branding as an external badge of credibility.  
It would also be nice to be able to filter our own certifications and courses, or even show which paths we have progress on. The profile could be a really strong tool for businesses to take advantage of. 
  • post-author-pic
    Chad C
    12-17-2018

Hello Devin! try a URL shortener like bitly or goo.gl.  

• post-author-pic
    Devin J. D
    12-17-2018

Hey Chad, although this is a solution and similiar to the one I mentioned in my post, it's not as aethetically pleasing at first glance on a resume nor carries the same credible branding as the LinuxAcademy.com address. The standard link has way too many parts to it. A simple "LinuxAcademy.com/u/DevinJDawson" would look much more professional than "bitl.ly/asj@*jsl9".

IMO, it would be in the best interest for Linux Academy to implement soemthing like this. Not only is it more accessible for a reader, but if people are usign the link and companies want to read it, its free advertisign for LA. 

• post-author-pic
    Ermin K
    12-18-2018

Hi Devin,

You make a valid point here, however I cannot remember the last time I actually used the paper version of my CV. These days as far as I can see especially in IT people tend to send CVs via mail or they post them on Linkedin and similar places. That being said in a digital format you can always convert something like this "linuxacademy.com/Devin" or something similar to a link that leads to wherever you want it to lead as that is just the visible text that can be linked to anything.

• post-author-pic
    Devin J. D
    12-18-2018

Once again a great suggestion, however I believe it's just a bandaid on a fairly easy issue to tackle. The program is still in beta, so I would not be suprised if permalinks on the development plan.

My worry is that someone might type in the link instead of clicking it. I wouldn't want to send them to a website that doesnt exist, and cause some awkward interactions. It's also not a great practice to link a hyperlink in text format that goes to a different link, especially a bitly link. just saying "My Linux Academy Profile" would be a lot less misleading in contrast to clicking a redirect. 

I suppose, above all, for this to be a practice that is deemed as credible, it would  have to be done by many individuals. If everyone does it in a uniform way, it will hold more weight because it will be easily noticeable. The branding of Linux Academy is supposed to be an easily recognizable credibility. 

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More