Frustrating side of AWS

I achieved 4 AWS certifications in 4 months... I didn't use any cert dumps, I used both Linux Academy and A Cloud Guru and I didn't just pass the exams, I learned the concepts and services. I even train AWS on the side. However, its almost impossible to get on with AWS or companies using AWS unless you are already doing the job. 

I have talked to several recruiters and they say, "We are looking for people with in-house experience." That's pretty impossible unless you are already doing the job... but you can't get the job without that in-house experience. Even when companies are looking for trainers, they don't care so much about AWS knowledge, they are more concerned with your training history and experience with E-Learning platforms. 

I know its not going to all fall into your lap over night; but I have been doing this for 9 months... I have 4 certs (I'm nearly ready to add the Solutions Architect Pro as well to my list); but I honestly don't feel like I'm any closer to a career at AWS or with another company using AWS than when I started. In fact I don't think if I had all 9 certs, I could get in. They would still want the in house experience... and jobs on the training side would want experience with E-learning software. At this point, it kind of feels like a dead end. 

• post-author-pic
    Chad C
    12-07-2018

Hey Errol, I can certainly understand where you're coming from.  That does sound frustrating.  

All I can say is keep trying.  There are companies out there that are searching for people like you.  We hear success stories all the time that include people getting the job after getting one certification, even with little to no experience.

I know it may seem daunting, but don't give up! Just know that there are employers that are looking for you, you just haven't found them yet.

There is also the option of taking a lower level position and working your way up the ladder or moving laterally.  

I hope this helps! 

• post-author-pic
    Tia W
    12-07-2018

Hi Errol, I know it can be discouraging but don't give up.  You have to be persistent.  We all had to find that first job at some point in our career.  One thing that can help is to try building projects on the side and using that as your hands-on experience.  You might also want to try applying for positions that are entry level since you don't have the hands-on experience.    Remember it doesn't matter how many times you hear no, you only need one person to say yes.

• post-author-pic
    Phil Z
    12-07-2018

Hey Errol, I know a lot of people in your position and I've been there myself. I know it's hard. I always recommend a project based portfolio in addition  to certifications - try putting together a personal site (it can be something very simple) and hosting it on AWS with a few blog posts about how it works. Use your knowledge to create something scalable, cost efficient, and interesting, and make sure to include that on your resume. Beyond that, just keep working and good things will happen. Many companies do want to see "experience" but there are many others who value a drive to learn and the ability to pick up new technology. Job searching can be incredibly frustrating, but like Tia said, all you need is one person to say yes. It sounds like you're doing all the right things - you'll get there.

• post-author-pic
    Michelle G
    12-07-2018

First of all, you have done an amazing job and should be very proud for that! I know it seems hard because you can't get a job without experience, and you can't get experience without a job, but definitely start a portfolio. Be able to explain and visually show what you can. This is experience, and it's important how you showcase it!

• post-author-pic
    Ermin K
    12-10-2018

You have achieved a lot in a short amount of time. But I would recommend getting any sort of hands on experience, perhaps on upwork or toptal, it should go a log way on your job application.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More