AWS - IAM Roles

I have started with the AWS course for the associate exam ; I have a question regarding "switch role" option.
Using the root account I assigned a role to an existing AWS user, now as per the tutorial I wish to switch role but I am unable to do so.
I do so by login as that particular user(the one I assigned the role to)  and choosing the "switch role" option; after entering the Alias as well as the name of the role I created it says: "

Could not switch roles using the provided information" 

Thank you!

• post-author-pic
    Adrian C
    12-05-2018

HI Yama - can you confirm what you mean when you say 'assigned a role to a user'... roles and users are not related in that way. You can give a user/group the ability to assume roles or a specific role, but you dont assign one to the other.

/Adrian

• post-author-pic
    Adrian C
    12-05-2018

That aside - i would double check the account number in the switch role box is correct, as well as the name of the role. It's usually the acc number OR permissions.

• post-author-pic
    Yama H
    12-12-2018

Hi Adrian,

Apologies! I was supposed to check the switch role functionality with a different aws account(not IAM account) but I did it with the same! Anyways, thank you for the response! :-)

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More