Openstack-host aggregate

If i do sizeing "vcpus,ram,storage,volume numbers,..." for some customers ,acording to their needs,

Is it recommanded to use host aggregate,for   a spacific servers for spacifi customer , or one host aggregate for all customer?

Please provide me  with detailed of what is the recommanded from redhat or oprnstack point of veiw,

Also provide links if avaliable.
  • post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-25-2018

@amy 

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    10-25-2018

https://linuxacademy.com/cp/socialize/index/type/community_post/id/30278 is a guide I did on using Host Aggregates and it does include a link back to the OpenStack wiki.

As I mention in the guid, Host Aggregates are a way of grouping like hardware and I've used it in the past to segregate developers to older equipment vs the hardware used for production in the same environment. So in my use case it was a group of users to a set of equipment, but you could also allow all users who need a specific flavor to be sent to a specific set of hardware.

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-26-2018

Can i allow a spacific tenant to access only a spacific host aggragete ?

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    10-26-2018

You can isolate a project to a host aggregate with:

nova aggregate-set-metadata <Host Aggregate> filter_tenant_id=<Project ID>

However, the project would be able to create instances on other hosts not in the aggregate or without the filter set. If you want to limit them to only the hosts in the host aggregate you would need to create a flavor to tie to the host aggregate and the Project and then limit the project to that flavor.

nova flavor-key <new flavor> aggregate_instance_extra_specs:filter_tenant_id=<project ID>

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-26-2018

nova aggregate-set-metadata <Host Aggregate> filter_tenant_id=<Project ID>

So the above commend will not force tenant to have a spacific compute node to use , is n't it?

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    10-26-2018

The above command will set metadata on the specified host aggregate to check a filter to see if it's the right project to use it.

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-26-2018

What if i want  the tenant admin to create what ever flavor wanted, without limitation to the a pre-created flavor

, is it done by using availablity zone ?

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    10-26-2018

A tenant admin can create a flavor however only someone with admin access to the cluster can create the host aggregate. They should be able to do the metadata on the flavor, just not on the host aggregate.

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-26-2018

The availablity zone .. can i assign a spacific availabilty zone to a spacific tenant ?

• post-author-pic
    Gamal A
    10-27-2018

@amy 

• post-author-pic
    Amy M
    10-28-2018

Availability Zones differ by project and you would need to check the project documentation for the feature you wish to implement. How Nova implements is different then Neutron.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More