Trouble with SAMBA connection in RHCSA course.

I've tried this about 3-4 times now and I always get stuck at the same spot. I'm in the SAMBA section of the RHCSA. At about 7:45 in the 2nd video where you connect with smbclient -U user -L <IP Address> I always get "session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE". I have double, triple, quadruple-checked that I'm using the same password from smbpasswd -a user. Is anyone else having this issue?

• post-author-pic
    Mike C
    10-24-2018

user or user1?

• post-author-pic
    David J
    10-24-2018

Wow I came here to post a new thread on the exact same problem. Im actually revisiting the RHCSA course (failed it back in August) and as I recall I never had this problem back then.

My problem is that I am able to login as an anonymous user by just doing smbclient -L [ip-address] but if I try to do it with a username then I get the same error message. I have the usermap file setup as follows and I have run smbpasswd on all to set the correct pw:

user = user
    root = root
    david = david

whats starnage though is that I can login just fine from server 2 to server 1, its just from 1 to 2 that doesnt work.

I have been able to mount the share directory just fine from server 2 and both servers are able to view and create files in it without any issues.

Firewalld & SELinux are both off.

I should also add that I recreated this on my local Centos7 machine with a VM as the second server and had the same issues.

• post-author-pic
    David J
    10-24-2018

...I just started 2 RedHat servers here and set everything up and the outcome was almost exactly the same. However this time I only seem to be able to login with user 'root' from server 2 to 1 but using the other user I have setup (and added in usermap) doesnt work...

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    10-24-2018

Have you added the intended users via smbpasswd?

• post-author-pic
    David J
    10-25-2018

Yes, and checked several times

• post-author-pic
    David J
    10-25-2018

Do I need to create these users on both machines? I think I tried that actually but will check anyway

• post-author-pic
    barkjose
    10-25-2018

Dont use the username user, instead use the user name linuxacademy and it will work like a charm.  I just expressed my frustration with multiple members of the linuxacademy team for not correcting this error .   All they would have to do is paste the username linuxacademy in the pdf in like 2 spots.

• post-author-pic
    barkjose
    10-25-2018

The lfcsa course covers the same material.  I have been looking at that course as I discussed my frustration with some friends on reddit.  I was directed by a couple people to that course as they were impressed.  If you have any other questions, I now have gotten all the labs to work, sometimes by being more creative.  All material that I have used for certifications outside linuxacademy has not been close to being error free.  That is why most people use multiple study materials. I do.

• post-author-pic
    David J
    10-25-2018

Hm ok I will try that but really it should work with any username as long as they exist as a user on the sever. It also doesnt explain why Im able to do it from server 2 to 1 and also what about outside of lesson labs? Its been like this for me in 3 separate environments now, the class lab, using LA RedHat severs and finally on my home Centos machine.

• post-author-pic
    rcastle
    10-28-2018

I can see how need for creativity is crucial but this is a pretty simple scenario. Get Samba up and running, add a user with a password, then connect. I'm not coming up with any ambiguous spot in that process. That would be like adding a user to a RH system then not being able to login.

• post-author-pic
    rcastle
    10-28-2018

It's voodoo. Confirmed that just using linuxacademy in place of user works fine.

• post-author-pic
    barkjose
    10-30-2018

I am glad that worked for you!

• post-author-pic
    David J
    11-14-2018

After re-watching the videos that accompany the lab Ive found I was making a small but crucial mistake.

When using the smbclient command you need to use the ip or dns name of the server that you are on now, NOT the other server. So if you have serverA and serverB and you are on serverA then you need to do the following:

smbclient -U bob -L serverA

replacing bob with any other user you have created on that system and you can use the ip address also.

Re-watch the second video for the lab '

SAMBA User Accounts and Security' at the 7.13 mark 

• post-author-pic
    barkjose
    11-14-2018

I look over my documentation, but David's explanation looks good! 

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More