Chef installation issues

Hi, I was going through Chef course and tried to follow the installation process of chef server, I downloaded the rpm and installed it.
Post that I ran reconfigure command .
It took some time but once it completed, I saw the chef server was not installed successfully.

Steps to replicate:
1.Launched free tier redhat Linux 7.5(HVM) instance in a VPC with security which allows complete incoming and outgoing traffic.
2. ssh into the ec2 server, then commands executed in following sequence:
    a)  sudo su -
    b) cd /tmp/
    c) curl -O https://packages.chef.io/files/stable/chef-server/12.17.33/el/7/chef-server-core-12.17.33-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
    d) rpm -Uvh chef-server-core-12.17.33-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
    e) chef-server-ctl reconfigure

After this, it took some 15-20 min to complete the task, but as per lecture expected output was:

okshelf

nginx

oc_bifrost

oc_id

opscode-chef-mover

opscode-erchef

opscode-expander

opscode-solr4

postgresql

rabbitmq

redis_lb

But Output came was:

oc_bifrost
oc_id
opscode-chef-mover
opscode-erchef
opscode-solr4
postgresql

If you scroll up in your terminal you can see lot of errors during reconfigure command execution.

Can someone help here with why this happened and how to overcome this issue during installation, or if there's something I missed in the process?

Thanks,
Saurabh
  • post-author-pic
    Keith T
    10-22-2018

There may be some extra steps that you need to take when running the Chef Server on a RHEL server over what was required to run it on a CentOS 7 cloud server. The cloud server images have somethings pre-installed and kept up-to-date. Here's a more detailed pre-requisite guide for installing Chef Server. There are a few RHEL specific steps in there that you might want to try before running `chef-server-ctl reconfigure`.

Let me know if that doesn't work. If there are still issues at that point please share some of the error messages and we'll continue to work through this.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More