CentOS 7 does not have same environment as the lesson.

I just started the training for Linux Foundation and right away the "Log into Local and Remote graphical and text Mode consoles - RedHat version is not usable. The CentOS 7 image available in Cloud Servers does not have any of the installed software that the instructor uses to demonstrate how to attach remotely in the UI. Is there some other image I need to use for this demo or something I need to yum install?
  • post-author-pic
    Anthony J
    10-12-2018

You need to use the "linux essentials" distribution in the cloud servers and not just plane centos 7.,

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    10-12-2018

Hello,

Chad's lesson was an overview of logging into a local system via graphical mode (i.e. a server, desktop or local virtual machine running a GUI) as well as how to connect via a console (SSH to a remote system like our cloud servers). This was more a discussion about what those looked like and the differences of each method.

An additional method, using VNC to a Raspberry Pi, was also demonstrated, but again was a local system for that lesson. You DO have the ability to log in via VNC to the CentOS 7 cloud servers we have provided for you via the drop down menu you used to launch the server. Once it is started, you will see another option 'open VNC web console' in the drop down box next to that active server. At that point, you will see a graphical environment that will be similar to any GUI on any Linux distribution.

• post-author-pic
    caolanod
    10-12-2018

Terrance yes the lesson was to demonstrate how to VPN into another machine from the UI of a CentOS 7 system. The CentOS 7 plain image did not contain the same set of tools in the UI as Chad's lesson did, hence my question. Anthony James seems to have answered it though. I will test his advice and make sure it is true.  

If that lesson is just a discussion show that you can do it, what's the point to it? It's just filler and fluff and a waste of my time to even consider it. I have spent at least an hour trying to figure out why my images I am choosing isn't working. It's a waste of precious time and money to have this "lesson" in the series just to show that the OS can do a thing.  

• post-author-pic
    caolanod
    10-12-2018

Okay so I created a Cloud Server with LinuxFoundations and I still only get these apps available where there is a huge set of apps in the videouser_393438_5bc0e759b6708.png_800.jpg

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More