Installing MYSQL

Hey People, I need some help... :D

"This MySQL exercise will help you grasp the concepts required for the MySQL section of the Linux+/LPIC-1 certification. This lab assumes you are using a Linux Academy CentOS 7 Linux server or your own Linux server with MariaDB installed on the system. If you do not know how to do this please see the "Installing MySQL" lesson under the exam 102 course."

Where canWhere can I find this lesson ...? Something missed me?

Thnx

• post-author-pic
    Michael M
    09-20-2018

Hello,

In the course that you have referenced the MySQL installation is located in this lesson.

https://linuxacademy.com/cp/courses/lesson/course/1143/lesson/5/module/126

In this lesson, the MySQL setup is done in a docker container using an image the is automatically pulled using the setup scripts supplied.

This is the environment that is used for the remainder of the SQL topics in that lesson.

• post-author-pic
    José Andrade M
    09-24-2018

Hola

yo tengo el mismo problema, no me deja instalar docker ni MySQL, me manda el siguiente mensaje
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Installing Docker and the MySQL Client...This install will take a few moments, please stand by...There was a problem installing packages. Please retry the script.If this problem persists, try to restart your lab or contact support.

• post-author-pic
    Drazen J
    10-11-2018

https://linuxacademy.com/cp/courses/lesson/course/439/lesson/7/module/52

• post-author-pic
    Matthew V
    01-24-2019

I am having the same problem as the original poster.  I am using the Centos7 server, and I have the docker image installed, but the lesson https://linuxacademy.com/cp/exercises/view/id/469/module/126 - Working with and Displaying Records, wants you to reset the root mysql password.  How do I pass that command into the docker image? 

If I try to run the command mentioned in the activity on the command line of the Centos 7 lab server, I get:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'

Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

I assume that I need to run it from the command line of the docker image, but I'm not clear on how to get into it.  I tried to ssh into the 172.17.0.2, and just get 'connection refused'.  I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious, but I don't know what.  Ideas?

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    01-24-2019

Hi, 

This exercise needs a few updates, which I will take care of momentarily, but to get you going, here is the gist:

1. Working with mysql on the docker container requires an additional parameter. In order to connect to it so you can create the db, you would do:

<as root>
    mysql -u root -p -h 172.17.0.2

The password is set during the container installation. Ignore the step for resetting the password. I will remove that from the exercise.

Once you are connected, you can then create the DB as instructed in the exercise. Then you can ext and download the file that will create the records to work with as instructed. Finally, you will reconnect to the database to run your queries by doing:

<as root>
    mysql -u root -p -h 172,17.0.2

You can complete the remainder of the exercise. It's actually a couple steps simpler than the exercise is currently listed as. I am going to fix that right now.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

• post-author-pic
    Terrence C
    01-24-2019

I have addressed the inconsistency in this exercise with the updates I detail above. It is now possible to complete it as listed in the exercise.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More