Instead of memorizing, isnt it wise to remember groups?

Edit: This is for Redhat Admin EX200
In example I was practicing the virtualization lab. 1st requirement is to install packages. There are like 6 packages to remember. Isnt it wiser to just use groups? I can use virtualization-tools , virtualization-hypervisor and virtualization-client groups which will install all the packages required. I dont have to remember them as I can display with # yum group list  ->> then double tab. 

I am all about efficiency and dont want to memorize unless I have to.  I think a similar tactic could work for nfs and smb as we can use group install for "Network File System Client" which installs all the required packages for samba or NFS client. I tried it same for Directory services group package, but some reason LDAP lab did not work when using the group install, however, worked when used individually installed packages. 

Sorry for the long post. I guess the point of this post to find out if there would be any trouble in the exam like instructors giving warning or group installs are not working in exam VM.  If there is no objection, I think this would be a beneficial post for everyone preparing for RHCSA exam and should be added to Mandatory PDF material or in one of the videos. 

In fact, the course can use a yum groups video centered around this points. There is a lab for yum groups in the RHCSA class, but no video to talk about it or explain. So basically I studied this from man pages and outside study sources. 
  • post-author-pic
    Stosh O
    09-14-2018

Hi there,

I would say you would be best to use the yum search command for these purposes.  Yum search can give you package names as long as you know terms around a particular package such as the command or the name of the software.

Hope this helps!

• post-author-pic
    David M
    09-14-2018

For virtualization, I found the following in the RHCSA course here on LA.  You may have already seen this or have not got this far yet, but it does seem like the course encourages groups:

Exercise: Virtual Machines

1. Download and install the proper packages to manage virtual machines on a Red Hat 7 machine. Ensure you install the GUI as well as the command line interface.

[root@localhost]# yum install virt-manager qemu-kvm qemu-img libvirt libvirt-python python-virtinst libvirt-client

or

[root@localhost]# yum grouplist hidden // This will show virtualization packages

[root@localhost]# yum groupinstall "Virtualization Client"

[root@localhost]# yum groupinstall "Virtualization Tools"

[root@localhost]# yum groupinstall "Virtualization Platform"

Note: This can prevent you from having to memorize packages or as a backup in the exam if you forget the packages required.

• post-author-pic
    Suleyman S
    09-14-2018

dbmathis, thanks for the info. I actually did that excersiz yesterday, but I did not check the answers sections since I already knew them LOL. 

• post-author-pic
    David M
    09-14-2018

I usually do the exercises without the answers section too, then skim the solution just to make sure I'm not missing some tidbit of info that might be helpful. I'm glad you mentioned this though, because I didn't feel like memorizing the network share stuff and now I'm realizing that the yum group approach can be used globally for this.

• post-author-pic
    Suleyman S
    09-14-2018

Yep. Works for network share. Even ldap and AD. But some reason when I do the hands on lab and use group install, I wasnt able to connect via LDAP. Logs showing me authentication issue. However when I do same steps except install packages individually, it works. 

• post-author-pic
    Sean G
    09-14-2018

are you sure it's installing all the same packages Suleyman? Maybe the group is missing one.

• post-author-pic
    Suleyman S
    09-14-2018

I checked each packages one by one with "yum list installed packagename"  . I built the lab multiple times and had the issue each time when I use group install, but worked fine when packages installed individually. Onlything I can think of is maybe some additional package inside the group causing a problem or I could try to run with # yum update -y" to update all packages which I didnt do in my practice.

I will try it again and report back.

• post-author-pic
    Suleyman S
    09-14-2018

I tried again. Still not working. Receiving "pam_ldap(sshd:auth):error opening connection to nslcd: No such file or directory" . Then also shows failed password for invalid user ldapuser1. I installed groups install for directory clients. Then manually installed the missing packages openldap-clients, authconfig-gtk, nss-pam-ldapd and pam_krb5 . I mean troubleshooting this, I already memorized all the packages LOL.

• post-author-pic
    Suleyman S
    09-14-2018

user_242091_5b9bfb6b4818a.jpguser_242091_5b9bfb7133d02.jpg

• post-author-pic
    Sean G
    09-14-2018

I'll try and test this out later and report back.

Looking For Team Training?

Learn More